This was a lovely spring weekend. On Saturday, I went shopping on 4th Avenue with Linda and Bella. Because Bella is SUCH a good baby, we were out for hours it seemed! We perused some maternity shops, some baby stores, and had a nice long leisurely break at Capers. Bella is sooooooo adorable, I can't stand it! Any time that I get to spend with her (and Linda too) is such treasured time. Especially since they will be moving far away from me soon :( Well I guess PoCo does not seem that far to some people, but it will take some adjusting!
On Sunday, Jonas and I went over to my mom's for Sunday dinner. A few weeks ago, I had expressed a craving to my mom for some of her traditional Cantonese dishes. So she went out, bought the ingredients and whipped up a dinner for us. She made an old childhood favorite of mine, oxtail soup. Jonas grew up with his mom's famous ox tongue, but he had never really had oxtail before and LOVED my mom's soup. She also made some steamed minced pork, braised tofu, and some stir fried vermicelli noodles. Even though I cook, I have not mastered the art of Cantonese cooking. And because Jonas' parents are in Toronto, I think he particularly enjoyed this feast. We both did! And now we have leftovers for a week, because my mom made us extra to take home. How sweet is that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I need to get Bella her own cell phone so you can make plans directly with her :).
ReplyDeleteNo really though, we had such a good time with you on Sunday! Bella just loves you!
Dear Wendy,
ReplyDeleteOxtail and ox tongue, two extremes of an ox and how moms can make them tasty and appealing at the same time.
I remember some of my mom's dishes but never had the chance to learn cooking from her. Gary's mom also cooked special dishes, funny that I never learned from her even though she was living with us for awhile.
We all have our own likes and dislikes and cooking styles. Maybe Jonas can learn to cook the ox tongue and you can learn to do the oxtail soup...I bet that these would become favourites of your kid.
Love,
Mom.
Jonas has never had oxtail? Has the boy never eaten any of my food?!
ReplyDeleteHe actually did try your oxtail that one time that you made it, but that was it! He loves it now!
ReplyDeleteI love everybody's comments. I am so honoured that you all take the time to read my blog!
Don't buy too much. We are going to shower you with love & gifts!!
ReplyDelete