Monday, March 8, 2010

Gung Haggis Fat Choy

We FINALLY told our friends the exciting news about our baby this weekend, and boy, what a relief that was! It was getting more and more difficult to not share the news with them. They are a bunch of smart cookies though (especially Gung Haggis) and seemed to have figured it out ages ago! All this time, Jonas and I thought we were being clever.

Gung Haggis Fat Choy, as most people know, is the dragon boat team where Jonas and I met and fell in love 3 1/2 years ago. Dragon boating has been such an integral part of our lives since we fell in love with the sport. Not only did we fall in love with the sport, but we fell in love with the people on the team. Never had I met such a fun-loving, spirited group of wacky, quirky people (I mean that affectionately of course!) We seemed to have all shared a love of food first, and then offbeat conversation next. Follow that up with some dry land excursions, a few hijinx, and then of course, the paddling! I have fond memories of each and every person on that team, both past members and current ones.

And so, I am a bit sad that I will not be dragon boating with them this year. Even though I am probably known a bit as a 'fairweather paddler', I do/did enjoy the camraderie, and the shared laughter and story telling time. But I take comfort in knowing that our baby has all of a sudden inherited about 20-30 new aunts and uncles. I can't wait for them to meet each other, and I hope that our baby will develop as close of a bond with them as we have. Love you all so much Gung Haggis!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, quirkiness is a must to join & love the team. I feel so fortunate to have such a great group of friends. We're going to have to have a GHFC onesie made up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expectant mothers can still be dragon boat drummers up to the time water breaks.

    or... expectant mothers can be team land manager, and receive free ice cream after each practice.

    Maybe you can give the baby a Chinese-Scottish name!

    ReplyDelete