Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy belated Easter!

Happy belated Easter! This long weekend was quite uneventful, but I was grateful for the time off. I have a busy work week ahead of me, one of which I am not looking forward to at all, as I will have to work this coming weekend. I spent the majority of my time puttering around the house, and hitting the gym while Jonas was in deep paper and study mode. The weather was horrible, but we managed to go for a nice long walk on Saturday night to get some oxygen.

Jonas and I do not typically celebrate Easter. All weekend long, I was thinking of ways to start some Easter traditions for the future. I do not want our child to feel ripped off of any holidays, and am determined to make all holidays a very special time for them. I know that starting from next year and onwards, I will be doing a special Easter dinner. I would have done that this year, but still am not in full food mode yet. And then we thought of the usual things.......chocolate Easter egg hunt, coloring Easter eggs etc. But really, in my household growing up, Easter was never really celebrated so I have no idea what to do with a child during that time. I guess we will just figure it out when the time comes!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, it's neat you posted this. I was just saying to Amir last night that while I love and appreciate the magic of Santa, I don't know if I can keep a straight face and pretend a gigantic bunny comes to leave baskets of treats while the kids are sleeping. Gigantic bunnies seem creepy, no? LOL.

    So we'll be working out our own Easter traditions right along with you guys. Shhhh...and we won't tell Amir's family that the dinner usually involves ham ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although, I should say for the record that I grew up with the concept of gigantic bunny leaving treats for Easter Sunday morning and am no worse for wear. I think I understood from very early on that it was pretend.

    Still, I can hop aboard egg hunt with cousin Ng with a whole lot more enthusiasm! Let's move closer :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wendy,

    It is so very interesting that you talk about establishing traditions for baby…Dad and I tried to establish some traditions of Chinese New Year when Jonas and Cara were small. Now when we were kids, Chinese New Year was the time when we got new clothes and a pair of new shoes. So one year, we said that we would buy a new wardrobe (new underwear and new outerwear and new socks and new shoes) for Jonas and Cara. They were not as excited as we thought that they would be… they got new clothes all year long, no yearning for this special new wardrobe. For me, it was different as we really only did get something new for Chinese New Year. I still remember that new pair of shoes that one year, when I was in high school. Needless to say, we didn’t continue the following year as it seemed frivolous to buy something new around that time, when they already had abundance of good clothes. Also true that we didn’t celebrate Easter as both of us are not religious. Christmas was a greater occasion. I remember buying Christmas gifts for Jonas and Cara, armed with a toy buying guide of “good toys” so that I could get something educational and safe. I never bought Nintendo, as much as Jonas had wanted it. Now Halloween was different. Dad’s mom sewed a “batman” cape for Jonas and something else for Cara. Now my mother-in-law was very much of a business woman, but she hand stitched them…what a work of love. When they were living with us, she celebrated Mid Autumn Festival, and bought special fruits. I cooked an enormous meal as she loved to invite all the neighbours to have dinner at our house. She would give all the kids paper lanterns with candle in them, Jonas would remembers those evenings…

    When your baby grows up and learns to read, not only will s/he read about mom’s pregnancy, s/he would read about great grandma, grandma and grandpa, and dad when he was a little kid.

    Now I know what a blog is good for…

    Love,
    Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as there is lots of chocolate at Easter, I'm sure our little ones will be happy...and bouncing off the walls!

    And so we decided to do a mini Easter egg hunt with Bella and Jaiden on Sunday but it didn't work out too well. Jaiden lost interest after the first two eggs and Bella, well, shall we say that hiding the eggs and then pretending to find them (and also eat them) wasn't too much fun for anyone...well...except for the eating part :)

    Linda (for some reason I can't sign in ergo, no profile to "Comment as")

    ReplyDelete