This weekend, we moved Griffin into his own bedroom. This was a huge step for us, as he has been in our room since we brought him home from the hospital. I was excited for him to begin this new adventure, but also a bit sad to not see his crib anymore. To make the transition easier, I decided to sleep in his new bedroom with him a wee bit longer, until he gets used to it. I think this is more for me (who still experiences separation anxiety) than for him, as he doesn't even know I am in there! So far, the transition seems to be working. He has had some fussy periods here and there over the last day or two, which I think may have to do with being a bit disoriented. But overall, not nearly as traumatic as I thought!
Moving him into his bedroom is indictative to me of how times are changing. I am reminded once again of how big Griffin is getting, and developing into this little human being with a personality. I am also reminded of how far Jonas and I have come since we brought him home. Back then, the idea of moving Griffin into his own bedroom did not seem like a reality at all. We were both just struggling with trying to get two hours of sleep at a time, and getting used to the idea of having a whole new person to take care of. Today, we have settled nicely into a routine and there is an ebb and flow in our household. Of course, there are still some things that are challenges. For example, it is still somewhat of a struggle to make it out of the house with Griffin sometimes. During the day, he has his own agenda and sometimes that means he just wants to sleep and eat. As all of our outings revolve around naps and feedings, we don't see outside our home some days. I am confident that this too will get easier.
Overall, life is good and so is parenthood. It took a while for me to get to this point, but when I see the love that Griffin has for us (and vice versa), it is hard not to be excited by the future. Everyday, I feel like I love him more than I did the previous day (which almost seems impossible considering how much I love him!) Although some of the things that Jonas and I have tried to do in raising Griffin so far may seem unconventional or raise eyebrows, I must pat ourselves on the back. As we muddle through being first-time parents, we have relied very heavily on advice from others, books, internet and our own intuition. And I am very proud of our accomplishments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh yay, I'm so glad it went well for all of you, that is super to hear. Congratulations on your own room, big boy! xo
ReplyDelete