Friday, January 21, 2011

Rough Week

It's been a rough, rough week. Probably, one of (if not the most) roughest since we brought Griffin home.

Griffin is in the throes of teething, and it is not pleasant at all. I can't even begin to imagine new teeth growing in, and how incredibly painful it must be for a little baby. I think he is handling it the best that he can under the circumstances, but man, has it been rough. He's a trouper- he has tried to put on the occasional happy face for us. But it is very short-lived. His days have been spent crying, sleep-deprived, sometimes not eating, and needing much comfort. Jonas and I have been holding him 'round the clock, and trying to be there for him. Once in a while, he will play, but for the most part he just wants to be held. Holding him now vs four months ago is a totally different ball game. First of all, he is not 5 lbs anymore! He is double that size, so my arms are definitely getting a workout. And since he is not a newborn anymore, he requires much more attention while he is awake.

Aside from the teething, we had his lovely four month immunization shots. Since there was no adverse reaction the last time, I wasn't expecting anything this time. Wrong. After dinner on the day of his needles, he started to cry. Uncontrollable, inconsolable, gasping for air crying. We strongly suspected this was a reaction to his needles, but no amount of consoling was working. So we bundled him up, loaded him up in the car and we took a drive. We drove around for about an hour and a half so he could fall asleep. Sure enough, he was able to sleep right away, but we decided to drive for longer anyways. Under different circumstances, the drive was actually quite nice. Since it was later at night, there was little traffic around and we drove around to places we hadn't been for a while. But we were exhausted ourselves, so we had to make a trip to the McDonald's drive-thru for coffee in order to stay awake. Thankfully once we got home, we were able to transport Griffin back into his crib without much difficulty.

And the week wouldn't be complete without a power outage. The other day was an unexpected snow storm in Vancouver (5 cm- yes this counts as a snowstorm in Vancouver). Snowstorm = power outage where we live. I guess I should count my lucky stars that it was during the day, and lasted just a few hours. I remember thinking to myself, next week has got to be better than this!

All in all, quite the challenging week in the Ng household. It's almost comical, because I'm sure we will look back on it and ask ourselves how we managed. But everyday is a new day!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Wendy,

    My heart goes out to you and Jonas...it will get better. I was just talking to Melody whose baby was born 11 months ago. Her baby never slept more than three hours at a time and finally they went to see a sleep psycholgist. The first time they tried her method, her baby slept for 10 hours+...and it has been consistent ever since. Melody has shared her meeting notes of the sleep psychologist with a few of her friends with babies and it works for them as well. She is eager to share that with you both. Let's talk on the phone sometime soon.
    Love,
    Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you guys. And poor little G. Sending love and hugs. I smiled when I read about the drive-thru coffee.

    I wish we were closer so we could come hang out and just keep you company.

    Love,

    Tabitha and Amir

    ReplyDelete