Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A 'Super Mom' Moment

I'm not sure if I am getting used to this sleep deprivation thing, or if I am finally getting used to being a mommy. Griffin was very cranky last night and this morning due to a very stuffed up nose. A stuffed up nose is very common with newborns, as their little nostrils are not developed yet. But because Jonas is sick, I was worried that Griffin caught his cold.

For some reason, Griffin likes to save his hissy fits for me, and his angelic moments for Jonas. When Jonas left for work at 5:30 this morning, I was left with a cranky baby. A few days ago, this would be enough to make me have a meltdown. But today, I dealt with his issue with ease, and was able to assess the problem. Poor little guy couldn't breathe through his nose, and he couldn't feed properly because his nose was plugged and he needed his mouth to breathe. So I soothed him and held him upright on my chest for 3 hours this morning. It was a very long 3 hours because I had to pee so badly, and kept looking at the clock, waiting for Jonas to come home. During one of Griffin's crying fits, the mucous in his nose started to come loose. I grabbed a tissue and pulled it out (perhaps more detail than one cares to read). After I pulled it out, it was like the skies parted for Griffin as he realized he had use of his nostril again. Once I pulled his booger out, I was able to feed him till he was content. Then I bathed him, and dressed him. Then we went into the living room where he was sitting happily in his swinging chair, waiting for daddy to come home and of course, saving his angelic face for him. I find it so amusing, as whenever Jonas comes home and sees him being so happy, I really wonder if he believes me when I tell him what a day I have had.

I felt proud of myself today for not having a meltdown. I must be getting used to this parenthood thing. Not to mention watching baby shows, after shows on the TLC channel that make me realize that I am not the only one that feels a bit insane at times.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! Yay for the "dislodging"!

    Sending love and hugs. Totally, totally understand. xoxo

    ReplyDelete