Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Happy 6 Months

I dreamed of writing this blog entry on this very day so long ago. Six months- how did we get here? Six months = half a year. Half a year of sleepless nights, endless feedings, diaper changes, nap times, missing out on social activities, not being able to shower when I want to, wolfing down meals, and stressing to make it to doctor appointments on time. Half a year also equals first smiles, first giggles to outrageous laughter, baby's first coos, rolling over, first bites of food, grabbing toys, first teeth, and discovering in wide-eyed amazement that there is a whole other world out there that exists. It has also been half a year of trusting, getting to know each other, and endless playing and bonding.

I don't even think I can put into words how I feel today. We spoke of this day almost from day one, and couldn't imagine how our lives would be. Today, our lives are rich and full of love. We can't imagine not having Griffin in our lives. Every day, it seems like he learns something new, or we discover something else about his emerging personality. I am so honoured to be his mom. Here are some of his milestones, quirks and favorite things.

- Griffin has discovered his feet, and is also fascinated by our feet. He likes to play with his toes, and he stares at our feet too.
- He lets us know he is tired by rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand. He will rub furiously, and we know that sleep is in order.
- When he is excited, he flaps his arms and legs wildly.
- Griffin hates getting dressed in the morning, and prefers to have his legs and feet bare at home. This is why we have so many pictures of him with no pants or socks on.
- He loves books. He is super excited when it is reading time, right before bed. In fact, one time, he wouldn't go to sleep until we read to him.
- He also loves it when we sing to him. It doesn't matter what we sing, he listens with full attention.
- He has learned to 'shimmy' in his crib. At first, I thought he was a genius. But after speaking with other mothers, this is something that all babies do. I place him at the bottom of the crib, and he shimmies all the way to the top until he bonks his head. He now shimmies on any flat surface we place him on.
- He has found comfort on our shoulders. When he feels tired or mellow, he will rest his head on our shoulder.
- Griffin loves the mirror, and loves his reflection. As soon as he sees himself, he starts to flap his arms and smile at himself.
- He loves to stare out the window and watch the world go by.
- His favorite toys are the Exersaucer and Sophie the Giraffe. Sophie has become his new best friend.
- He also loves being in his Bjorn. Even when I am at home, I walk around the house with him in it.
- Griffin loves to suck on his fingers, particularly his thumb.
- Recently, he has started to cry if he is taken away from a toy that he loves and he is not finished playing with it yet.
- We discovered tooth #2 on its way. He now has two bottom teeth.
- He is BEYOND curious and stimulated by everything. No kidding, anything we do or show him, he finds completely fascinating.
- He grabs anything and everything he can get his hands on. He finds it amusing to grab our eye glasses off our faces.
- He loves to smile. If I had a quarter for everytime he smiled at us in a day, I'd be a rich woman.
- We have now introduced green peas to him again. Good news, he likes it!
- He is still shy around strangers, but I think he is getting a bit more comfortable than two months ago.
- If I leave the room for too long, he will notice and start to cry out for me.

We count our blessings every day for Griffin. Especially, when we see how much he is thriving. We barely recognize him as the same baby we brought home six months ago.

Happy six months outside the womb.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Wendy,
    What a precious baby who will become a child in a blink of an eye...thanks for sharing!
    It seems that he is ready for the world...look forward to seeing him in April.
    Love,
    Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy half year of life, little Griffster. We love you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete